Huang Zhou was a modern Chinese artist, was originally named Liang Gantang. He was also known by the names of Liang Yezi, Miao Di, Liang Peng, and Liang Quan. Born in Lixian County, Hebei Province, he was apprenticed in his adolescence to artist Han Leran and Zhao Wangyun. Early in his career, he worked as an editor in the Soldiers’ Books Publishing House of the Northeast Military Region. In 1949, he joined the People’s Liberation Army and served as a staff artist of the Creative Unit in the Political Department at the Headquarters of PLA’s Northeast Military Region. In 1955, he was transferred as a staff artist to the General Political Department of the PLA in Beijing. In 1959, he became a staff painter at the Military Museum of the Chinese People’s Revolution. In 1981, he was appointed Deputy Director of the Research Institute of Traditional Chinese Painting. Huang was also a member of the CPPCC National Committee, a consultant to the Arts and Crafts Corporation under the former Ministry of Light Industry, and executive member of the council of the Chinese Artists Association.